Recipe - Jamaican Jerk Marinade


Before you ask - No, I don't know the why it's called "Jerk". I mean I've heard a few stories on the history of the name, but they're all unconfirmed.... And for those of you in the know, yes I'm well aware that a traditional jerk marinade is a dry rub; but I never said this was a traditional recipe! All I can promise is an easy recipe with amazing results. That's right, AMAZING! The marinade tenderizes the meat and is packed full of flavour.
This marinade is a medium heat spice, but feel free to adjust to your tastes.

Marinade:
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 tbsp of red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup of orange juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 stalk of green onion
- 1 large handful of cilantro (approx. 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 fresh jalepeno (with seeds)
- 1 large chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 4 tbsp Jamaican jerk spice blend
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp pepper

Puree all ingredients in a blender or food process0r. Marinade is will coat approximately 1 1/2 lb of meat. Coat evenly and refridgerate overnight. I usually use the marinade on cubes of pork tenderloin or chicken (wings, quarters, any cut... but with skin on!). Skewer meat if necessary and grill/broil until cooked. Serve with rice and peas. Mmm! Enjoy!

No comments: