Recipe: Grilled Pork Chops with Adobo Paste


If you buy canned chipotle peppers, adobo sauce is the what the peppers are stewed in.  I've always used the leftover sauce from my chipotle peppers, but I never thought to make my own! Duh!  Adobo sauce is a classic Mexican spice paste that is slightly smoky with a bit of bite, and it's great on pork, beef or chicken.  Making it fresh just doesn't compare!  It took me all of 2 minutes to throw together.  Pinky swear.

I stumbled on this recipe when reading an old issue of Gourmet magazine, which has since folded. Sigh..



Adobo Sauce:
-2 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
-2 tbsp paprika (not hot)
-1 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
-1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
-1 1/2 tsp dried hot chili flakes
-2 cloves of garlic, minced
-zest of one lime, finely grated
-2 tsp salt
-1/4 tsp black pepper

-4 bone in pork chops, 1" thick

  • Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
  • Rub paste all over the pork chops.
  • Grill over medium-high heat for 3-4 min per side. 
  • Important:  Let meat rest for 5 min before serving.  Do not skip this step!  Enjoy.

No comments: