Recipe: Memories of Montfort Chicken



My love for Montfort chicken sandwiches began many years ago, late night after too many drinks.  However, this is not one of those dishes that you eat sober and wonder "What was I thinking?! - it is truly delicious!  If you've never had one before, I agree that chicken, pineapple and a creamy garlic sauce does sound odd (I don't even like Hawaiian pizzas) but believe me, this just works!

Disclaimer: I do not know the Montfort chicken pita recipe.  This is my very close approximation/replication; however my recipe has fooled a number of blind taste testers.  Please let me know what you think of the results!


Serves 2

Ingredients:

-2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 lb)
-1/2 cup cubed fresh pineapple

-vegetable oil
-fresh lettuce (iceberg or romaine)
-pita bread

Garlic Sauce:

-1/3 c mayo
-1/2 tsp minced garlic
-1/4 tsp salt
-1/8 tsp black pepper
-1/4 tsp chopped parsley
-1 tsp honey
-1/2 tbsp olive oil
-juice from a quarter lemon

Marinade:
-1/4 tsp nutmeg
-1/4 tsp allspice
-1/4 tsp paprika
-1/4 tsp sumac*
-1/4 tsp ground cardamon
-1/4 tsp salt
-1/4 tsp black pepper
-1/2 tsp minced garlic
-juice of 1 lemon

  • In a small bowl, combine all ingredients for garlic sauce.  Refrigerate.
  • Cut chicken into 1" cubes and combine with the marinadeingredients.  Let marinade for an hour in the fridge.
  • Place a cast iron or nonstick skillet over medium heat.  Add 1/2 tbsp of oil.  Add chicken and stir occassionally for about 8 minutes.
  • Add pineapple and cook for another 2 minutes.
  • Toast pita bread until warm.  Slice 1/4" off and open the pita with your knife.
  • Line the pita with some lettuce and add chicken and pineapple mixture.
  • Serve immediately with garlic sauce.  Enjoy!
*Tip: Sumac may be hard to find. Try a middle eastern owned convenience store or market.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

So excited to have found this! Just had lunch at Montfort in Burlington and want to try making at home myself! THANKS!

Mark said...

Pretty sure the garlic sauce is yogurt based not mayo.

Binary Today said...

I will be testing this tonight. I will then come back and report my thoughts on this recipe. Montforts rules!

Anonymous said...

Do you know how to make their " red " delixious tomato sauce that comes usually free on the side? I really love their ( Montfort) sauce.
Thanks

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I have to try this at home! I so love Montforts. When I was in college we used to go the Oakville location for late night snacks after the club. Then the Mississauga location when I moved back home for a while. Now I only get to go to Montforts when I'm visiting Niagara-on-the-Lake which is so very seldom. We hit the Burlington location on the way back. Wish they would put a location in East York! Thanks for the post. I could almost drink their creamy garlic sauce!

Special K said...

I've tried chicken shawarma here in Spain, but it can't be compared to the Montfort's recipe. So excited to give this a try!! I'm so craving this right now!!!

Classic Edge said...

Thanks so much for posting this! I LOVE that white sauce and will give this a try. Was thinking about it all day ;)

Classic Edge said...

Almost forgot! Could you post the Red Onion sauce as well?? That stuff is KILLER.

Anonymous said...

Has anyone figured out how to make the curried onions? Because I could eat those for breakfast!

Unknown said...

How do you make the Onions??

Lynn said...

Girl, you are amazing. Tried this last night and must say, could have swore we were eating Montfort takeout at our dinner table. All I need now is the recipe for there salad dressing, any thoughts?

Unknown said...

The sauce is mayo based. Once when I was there and trying to figure out the white garlic sauce I asked, pretending I had an allergy. I'd tried to make it using yogurt and it never tasted right!

Unknown said...

I LOVE Montforts and the montfort chicken was the best! Haven't had it since like 1999 or 2000 but wow I remember it being so good!

Unknown said...

I used to go 2 , 3 times a week for yrs. Moved away but everytime I came back, I went there. The best food for me. I will be trying your recipe within days. Thank you