Recipe: Apple Pancakes


Most nights I have super boring dreams about me running errands, or dreams so bizarre I don't dare tell anyone about for fear of what they'll think of me.  But occasionally, I have wonderful dreams about food.  Recently I had a dream about apple pancakes with apple slices, and once I turned my dream into reality -  the results were so great I've decided to share the recipe with you!


Serves 2-3 people (makes 6 pancakes about 4.5" in diameter)

- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 medium apple (such as Granny Smith or Macintosh), peeled and cored.

- vegetable oil & unsalted butter for cooking
- powdered sugar


Instructions:
  • Mix the first six dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir with a whisk to combine.
  • Add milk, egg, vegetable oil and vanilla extract all a once.  Whisk just to combine.  It can be a bit lumpy.  Do not over mix.
  • Thinly slice the apple about 1/4" thickness.  You need six slices.  For the remaining apple, dice and combine into the batter.
  • Heat a large cast iron pan or griddle over medium heat.  
  • Add a teaspoon of vegetable oil and a pat of butter to melt in the pan.
  • In a frying pan, you can cook about two pancakes at a time.  Add two apple slices, and pour 1/3 cup of batter over each apple.
  • Cook for about 2-3 mins.  There will be some steam and bubbles, and the edges of the pancakes will turn light brown.
  • Flip over and cook for about another min, or until the other side is golden brown.  You can lift the pancake and peek.
  • Continue with the remaining apple slices and batter.
  • Server with a dusting of powdered sugar and maple syrup.
Note: Please also see my banana pancake recipe for another variation.

1 comment:

Special K said...

Hey Anna! Thanks for sharing this recipe! I will have to give it a try this weekend!